PayPal Card our account selection

LB010701
Contributor
Contributor
Does PayPal select different payment sources stored in my account if the default source does not have the necessary funds ? Does PayPal select the source on its on moving down the list of my bank account or cards??
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LB010701 

Please read: Payment Method Used

Note that PayPal ultimately cannot, during checkout, check each linked funding sources for available funds prior to completing the transaction. The system don't have that kind of access to your account(s). Only you would know or have a sense of whether you have funds in your linked accounts or not at time of transaction and select to pay with the one that does to the best of your ability under the circumstances.

If a bank account is used and you don't have enough money in it, PayPal will try to present request for payment up to 2 times in about a 6 day period and overdraft fees is levied by your bank so it's best to add funds to the bank account asap. Even if you add money to your PayPal balance, PayPal will still try to take it from your bank account so it's best to add funds to the bank account instead of adding funds. If they still can't retrieve the funds, then they will use your credit card as back up.

If your card is over the limit, the credit card company will decline the transaction and have a negative balance in your PayPal account. Then that's when you add money from your bank account to zero out your PayPal balance.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.