PAYPAL PAYMENT CONFIRMATION

megan-s

Hi

I'm selling 2 beds on gumtree for £200 and have a potential buyer for the beds. This is my first time selling.  They told me they couldn't collected themselves as they are in a wheelchair and they have a courier agent that would pick them up. I want the beds gone so was willing to have a courier service pick them up as I am not delivering the items. They asked for my email and Paypal name so they could send the amount. I have since received an email from the buyer:

""PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email. I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via Ria Money Transfer,but due to me being in wheelchair i'm unable to get to a Ria money shop to send it. I added the £200 they charged for the pick up and  £20 for the Ria Transfer charges,you will receive the total sum of  £420 You'll send £200 to them via Ria Money Transfer today and here is the details needed for the transfer below. ""

I have received an email into my junk email, the address name matches all other emails from Paypal. However within the email address is,                    <removed>. Within the email:

""

Paypal Policy

The total sum of £420.00 GBP has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but it will not be credited into your account (for security purpose) until you send the requested sum of £200.00 GBP Ria Money Transfer.

As mentioned in the payment receipt and as per the new PayPal payment policy, we have fully deducted the total sum of £420.00 GBP from the buyer's account and it cannot be refunded to her due to the terms and conditions for this transaction. Your money is safe and secure with us but it has been put on hold for security purpose and will not be credited into your account until we receive the necessary details from you.

Spend the sum of £200.00 GBP  (cash) to the details above. A Reference Number would be given to you by Ria Money Transfer. Kindly send the below information to us as soon as you have completed the Ria Money Transfer so that we can credit your account instantly:

-Sender's Name and Address

-Reference Number

-Telephone number

-Total Amount Sent

-Test question and Answer (if applicable)

Send the above information to us at :<removed> You will receive a confirmation email from us as soon as we receive the requested information from you. ""

I have not sent any money via Ria to the name and address they have provided me which is in Turkey. There has been no change in activity to my Paypal account (I have been monitoring this today) and i have not received any other emails from Paypal. I contacted paypal through the message centre to see to find out about the 2 email address but have not heard back.  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@megan-s 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens before the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the beds, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to do anything until the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.