Over 30 days refund for not claiming funds

alvinn1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm new on this community chat. I haven't be able to get an answers from PayPal, maybe someone here can tell me if they been true this before; I've made a payment by mistake to a merchant and the payment shows completed. according to PayPal's rules if the merchant doesn't claim the funds in 30 days, the money will go back to my account. I call the merchant and spoke to them, it's been over 30 days and the merchant tells me that it is still there and they haven't claim it, and I haven't get refunded either. if they give me a refund they will charge me a fee. I can even get a phone number for PayPal, I texted them and they cut me off. Can any body give me some idea as what I should do? Thank you 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alvinn1 

If its showing COMPLETED and not PENDING then its been claimed or gone through to the seller and they need to issue you with a refund.

The only time it times out at 30 days is if it stays as PENDING. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

alvinn1
Contributor
Contributor
Kernowlass. Thank you for your reply. I now that but what I don’t understand is that, the payment showed completed immediately after I made it and I couldn’t cancel it. The merchant call me right away to ask me about the payment he had received, and he hasn’t touch it, claim it or take the payment. I decided to we the 30 days.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alvinn1 

The seller can issue a refund as they would have received it as its showing as completed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

alvinn1
Contributor
Contributor
Well. I guest this would be an FYI for anybody that goes true this situation. This is what I have learn; I made a payment to the wrong merchant and my payment showed completed immediately. Because it showed completed, the merchant had to do a refund back to me, (it didn’t matter that I waited 30 days for the funds to return back to my account for not been claimed by the merchant), and the merchant had to charge me the fees that PayPal charge them for receiving plus refunding the payment, so I ended up losing a little over $100. Hard way to learn. I’m seriously considering closing my PayPal account after this.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.