Out of eBay transaction

ElleseHinton
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i want to buy this game from eBay and i offered on the game and the seller contacted me to tell me he would give the game for that price if we do it outside of ebay, so he doesn’t have to pay fees etc. So he wants me to give him the money through paypal to his email address... however am i covered for this? Will i get my money back if I don’t receive the game?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ElleseHinton wrote:
Thank you best answer i’ve got all night! So if i make sure i choose the products and services option im covered right?

Yes. You don't get coverage if payment sent as friends and family. You are essentially sending money to a stranger so use goods and services payment type. When you click "Send" on the Summary page, you type in the email address and the window that pops up, it will say Send money to friends with a blue "change" link. Click "Change" to switch it to goods and services. Make sure you describe what you are buying in the payment notes. Are you buying a digital game? Some goods may not be protected. So it is tricky sometimes. I wouldn't buy a digital game or digital good from any Joe Schmoe. maybe a big reputable shop but certainly not someone who tells you to help them avoid fees. But that's just me. If you buy a digital game, you have to think about how you can return it? You can't so if you can't provide tracking, you'll lose. So there are a lot of things to think about and you have to read what the buyer protection terms to see in detail what it covers for your own protection.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ElleseHinton

That depends on many factors all listed in Paypals buyer protection policy for you to read and then risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ElleseHinton
Contributor
Contributor
So basically im not covered?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ElleseHinton

Where did I say that?

Hae you actually READ buyer protection?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ElleseHinton
Contributor
Contributor
Yes & I don’t really understand it to be honest it doesn’t tell me about ‘my’ situation just if your paying through paypal through ebay
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ElleseHinton

So you want me to spend 30 minutes typing out all the relevant passages and posting them on here because you can't understand a small section on buyer protection in paypals user agreement?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ElleseHinton
Contributor
Contributor
No i came on here for a simple answer as i got told thats what i would get. I don’t need to be given links, i need to know my answer which i came on here to get.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ElleseHinton wrote:
Hi, i want to buy this game from eBay and i offered on the game and the seller contacted me to tell me he would give the game for that price if we do it outside of ebay, so he doesn’t have to pay fees etc. So he wants me to give him the money through paypal to his email address... however am i covered for this? Will i get my money back if I don’t receive the game?

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ645

Realize you are buying goods so when you send payment be sure to send it as goods and services.

Login to Me Too

ElleseHinton
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you best answer i’ve got all night! So if i make sure i choose the products and services option im covered right?
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ElleseHinton wrote:

Yes. You don't get coverage if payment sent as friends and family. You are essentially sending money to a stranger so use goods and services payment type. When you click "Send" on the Summary page, you type in the email address and the window that pops up, it will say Send money to friends with a blue "change" link. Click "Change" to switch it to goods and services. Make sure you describe what you are buying in the payment notes. Are you buying a digital game? Some goods may not be protected. So it is tricky sometimes. I wouldn't buy a digital game or digital good from any Joe Schmoe. maybe a big reputable shop but certainly not someone who tells you to help them avoid fees. But that's just me. If you buy a digital game, you have to think about how you can return it? You can't so if you can't provide tracking, you'll lose. So there are a lot of things to think about and you have to read what the buyer protection terms to see in detail what it covers for your own protection.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.