Opening a US PayPal Business account if I have SSN, US bank account and LLC but don't live in the US

shiram
Contributor
Contributor

Hello guys, I have an important question that I decided to post here after getting mixed answers from the PayPal support team.

I live outside of the US, and at the moment, I have a local PayPal business account for the business in my country.

However, because I also have many clients from the United States, I am going to open an LLC in the US soon.

In addition to my current local PayPal business account, I consider opening a new PayPal business account for this LLC, and I try to understand if it is within PayPal terms of service that I will open the US PayPal business account or not.

I do have a US bank account, a US address for my LLC, and even a U.S. social security number, however, I am not a US citizen and do not live in the US.

When I emailed the PayPal support team and asked them this question, they told me I can open the US PayPal account and didn’t even mention that I need a U.S. social security number.

However, when I sent them another email to double-check and confirm, they told me that for opening a U.S. based PayPal account, I need to be a U.S. citizen and to have a U.S. social security number (which means that it is not possible in my case because I do not live in the U.S).

So, I try to figure out if someone here was in the same situation and can tell me from his/her experience if it is going to be possible for me to open the US based PayPal account or not.

Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @shiram,

Thank you for your post. It is not necessary to be a US citizen, as long as you have a US taxpayer ID. However, an account can only be opened in the country of residence, or if it's a business account, the country the business is organized in. It's possible that your business qualifies if it is registered in the US. For more information, please take a look at the US PayPal User Agreement. You can also ask questions about setting up various business solutions by calling the number listed on this page.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

shiram
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @PayPal_Olivia,

First, thanks a lot for your reply. After reading the material you provided, I am still not sure about something:

You said that "an account can only be opened in the country of residence, or if it's a business account, the country the business is organized in"

As explained before, I live in Israel; however I am going to open an LLC in the US. Assuming that I can provide PayPal with SSN or EIN, is it going to be ok to open the US PayPal business account, even though I am not living in the US, which means I will login to my account every time from my Israeli IP?

I ask that because I saw this post last week of someone in a similar status that got his account blocked due to IP issues:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/Account-suddenly-blocked-because-paypal...

Could you please confirm I will be able to open the new business account without any issues based on the information I provided?

Thanks again

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @shiram,

Thank for reaching back out! That's a great question. While you can operate a company based in the US while residing outside the county, you won't be able to operate a US PayPal account from Israel. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Have a great day,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

jbflipper
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @shiram ,

Were you able to open  US PayPal Business account? 

I am a non-resident alien and I was also considering getting a "US PayPal Business account" opened for my US LLC. 

Please share your experience.

Regards,  

Login to Me Too

iampradeeep
Contributor
Contributor

I am residing in UAE and I manage my father's PayPal Business account registered in India. Will this trigger an IP issue and get the account blocked? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.