Notifications???

themzpat
Contributor
Contributor

I continue to receive emails stating my account has been breached, I never respond to these. But how do I know when it's actually PayPal or a scam? If it has been breached then it needs to be addressed, any ideas? Thank you, Patricia

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@themzpat

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

themzpat
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much...so what you're saying is close the email and then login to my account...don't do it thru the mechanism through which I was contacted. And the salutation will always use my full name. Really it's very hard for us oldsters to get all the technology. Thanx again, Patricia
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@themzpat

More info when you click on the link I posted above, and not sure what you mean about technology and oldsters, you have no idea how old I am  !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

themzpat
Contributor
Contributor
That's true...though I know how old I am 😉. The link is very helpful, thanx again
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.