Not sure if a scam

jbor0155
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
Im getting emails from this account, could you kindly let me know if this is a legit email or not of yours, as if it is I will send the money back however I do not have the money in my account therefore Im not too sure if it is a scam or not. I read online and it said that it is a scam. 
Thanks NatashaScreenshot 2019-08-28 at 23.18.09.png

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbor0155 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent/courier to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish. 

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbor0155 

Screenshot not showing, but if you give us a gist of the email content we can confirm scam for you or not.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbor0155
Contributor
Contributor

How do I show you the email ? as it is not letting me post it 
@kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbor0155 

Just give us a 'gist' of the content ie what they are saying or asking you to do, a copy paste is fine as long as you don't post any PERSONAL INFO.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbor0155
Contributor
Contributor

The subject of the email is the following , 

Legal Action Notice !!!
and this is parts of the email, 

We are ensuring to make Online Transaction a safer place, therefore we need to set confidence on all our users.

We request for the Money Gram Transfer information from Money Gram for certain Security Reasons to prove the transfer has been made within the next 48Hrs and we will fund the money into your account or you will face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION.  This is done for the protection of both the seller and buyer from the ongoing internet fraud activities.

Thank you for using PayPal Online Payment !!!.

@kernowlass 
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbor0155 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent/courier to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish. 

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbor0155
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your help,
I will not answer and ignore the emails, just wanted to make sure 
@kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbor0155 

😊

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.