Norton online banking protection - PayPal advice required

ck2katpp
Contributor
Contributor

I have already attempted to progress the following enquiry through the PayPal Customer Services route but have not yet obtained any response, so, I thought of trying the community route. So here goes ...

A few weeks ago I attempted to logon to my personal online PayPal account to review recent transactions – as per a PayPal email sent to me 3October2019, titled; “View your recent transactions now” (usually one these is received every month).

To do this I used a personal desktop PC with (at that time) Windows 10 (v1903) OS, Norton Security software v22.19.8.65, Firefox v69.0.2 browser with the Norton Safe Web v3.10.0.2 extension installed.

When I performed this, the following occurred for the first time in my experience. As soon as the PayPal login screen was displayed, a pop-up message appeared stating that Norton “Online Banking Protection” had been automatically triggered and that it was in “Isolation Mode” supposedly protecting the internet communications between PayPal servers and my PC by routing them via Norton’s servers. It further stated that “a green border” would be displayed around the PayPal webpage displays to confirm this.

I had not received any prior notice of this functionality from either Norton or PayPal, so I was suspicious that it may be some type of “man-in-the-middle” malware attack.  Based on observations of subsequent online accesses to my other financial-services websites (mostly U.K.-based), I noted that this functionality does not appear with them.

I have been able to obtain information that refers to this functionality from the Norton (Symantec) website at URL:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-identity-safe/current/solutions/v131585157?displang=iso3%....

I contacted PayPal customer services by telephone to corroborate the Norton information. The various PayPal representatives that I spoke with appeared to have no knowledge of this Norton functionality – further enhancing my suspicions.  At their recommendation, I sent a written report to them which also contained a request to advise me about the Norton functionality.  I am still waiting for a reply.

Meanwhile I performed a search of this community forum using various terms containing the words in the title of this post. This did not bring up any matches at all. So, in the hope that others may be interested, or perhaps even be able to provide the required assurances that this Norton functionality is OK with PayPal, I posted this query to the community.

I eagerly await your replies.

Thank you.

Note to forum administrators; I posted this in the PayPal Basics board because it is the only one that seems to deal with personal account security.  Please move it to the correct board if required.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

jmmcd68
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, did you ever get to the bottom of this?  Did PayPal get back to you?  I have come across the same issue and am trying to figure out if it is an issue with PayPal or with Norton.  

Thank you

Login to Me Too

ck2katpp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jmmcd68,

Nope! I've not heard a single word from anyone but your good self on this issue.

To deal with the issue, I just disabled the relevant Norton add-on in my browser. Some months later the add-on disappeared when I upgraded my Internet Security software.

Meanwhile, I've been monitoring all activity on the PP accounts. Nothing suspicious there - so far, touch wood.

Hope all stays good with you too.

Login to Me Too

jmmcd68
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I've not had any real security issues with it, but it is strange.  I contacted Norton who told me the site I was purchasing from was safe and they had no explanation as of yet as to why i got this.  They have escalated the issue and if they come back with anything useful, i'll let you know.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.