None ebay goods transfers

usernamenotav
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,on ebay for about 12 years I think, all feedback as a buyer. I buy hatching eggs via ebay. Cannot resell ducklings. So;

I intend to offer telephone contacts the option of paying a deposit via Paypal as most have this today. Money transfer to friends/family or whatever. I'm trying to weed out time wasters.

So is this in breach of anything?, and is a charge incurred by me or the sender, and is there the possibility of a claw back ( paypal refunding the deposit) etc

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@usernamenotav

Its against Paypal rules to accept friends / family payments for selling and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.

Also whilst they could not open a Paypal dispute for non receipt etc as they would have no 'buyer protection' they could do a chargeback directly via their card issuer (if they funded their Paypal payment that way), and you would probably lose as you would have no 'seller protection' as it was a family / friends payment.

If you accepted goods / services etc BUT the buyers were 'collecting' the items then again you would have no seller protection for any Paypal dispute either. You also pay a fee per transaction.

Your best bet is to go read up on seller protection so you can risk assess your own transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

usernamenotav
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice.

But given that my best option is to forget paypal altogether, already given up selling on ebay due to stacked dice. Does one way traffic ring true?

Don't answer, won't be back.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@usernamenotav

Your welcome, and whether you use Paypal or not matters not one jot to me as I have nothing to do with them.

This is a user to user advice forum, you asked for advice and I gave it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

usernamenotav
Contributor
Contributor
I need to apologuise personally to you, Had yet another issue with ebay today, as a buyer this time, so came here for the first time very frustrated. I think I introduced f &family into the equation wrongly, when all it really was is how do I accept a payment for non ebay goods and what does it cost buyer and seller. Hop the original post makes clear I'm asking so I do this right, just have friends having a few issues with ebays private seller protection since changes
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@usernamenotav

Paypal fee for UK > Uk transactions is 3.4% + 20p per transaction.

Sellers always pay the fee not buyers.

They can pay you using the goods / services option if you supply them your email address.

Or you can send them a money request OR paypal.me link if you have one.

You may be subject to Paypal new seller hold as per link below.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/fundsavailability

Don't forget you won't have seller protection if they are 'collecting' the items.

If its collection always go for cash.........then you have cash in hand / no wait / no Paypal fee !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

usernamenotav
Contributor
Contributor

The issue I was trying to resolve was how to take an advance payment from a distance to secure a future sale. Given nothing to see them folks won't want to travel to leave a cash deposit, didn't want to ask them to either. Wanted a practical but cost less solution to all. So, if I take a deposit via paypal, then get the buyer to refund me and pay in cash on collection, does that conform to policy?

Login to Me Too

usernamenotav
Contributor
Contributor

Given this is livestock cash on collection and agreement is the only way, just need a legit way to take a deposit without supplying bank details and it costing.

Paypal is a consideration as most of my retail spending makes them money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.