New security rules august 2020 uk

langwithlinda
New Community Member

Just had an email saying that I need to put my mobile number in for new security measures so they can send me an SMS with a code number but I don't own a mobile phone. Will I still be able to use paypal?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@langwithlinda 

"Most of the time you will be able to login or pay with PayPal by just entering your email address and your PayPal password as usual. But from time to time, we may ask you for a One-Time Passcode that PayPal will send you by SMS on the phone number you have registered in your profile."

If your phone number in your account profile is not labeled as Mobile, with the sms options disabled, you'll just log in with email address and password.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/psd2-new

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

mngerhold
Contributor
Contributor

That link no longer refers to anything other than mobile phones & SMS messages - so no help!

Login to Me Too

nithsdalenoddy
Contributor
Contributor

Login to your account

Go to Help

Enter SCA and you get this info:

Most of the time you'll log in or pay with PayPal by entering your email address and your PayPal password as usual. We may sometimes ask you to enter a one-time passcode which we'll send by SMS to the phone number you've registered with us or via a phone call if you have a landline.

Login to Me Too

mngerhold
Contributor
Contributor

When you write 'go to SCA', I assume you mean wander about until you can find the info at

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/psd2-new

and when I do, this is what I see (I'm in the uk, but may have a us paypal acct, as the pages I see don't hve /uk/ in the address - if so, that was not something i decided to do way back when):

What changes will I see when using PayPal?

Most of the time you will be able to login or pay with PayPal by just entering your email address and your PayPal password as usual. But from time to time, we may ask you for a One-Time Passcode that PayPal will send you by SMS on the phone number you have registered in your profile.

so no change for me.  Where did you see that amended wording?  If there is a uk 'branch', how do I access it, please?

Login to Me Too

mngerhold
Contributor
Contributor

This confusion is typical of the usual paypal mess!

Login to Me Too

nithsdalenoddy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm asked to login via

paypal.com/uk/

In my account I go to Help and in the Search box that pops up I type SCA (= secure customer authentication) and one of the links gives you the text I posted earlier

I also confirmed this via webchat with one of their advisors a few months ago

Via my MP I queried what was happening generally with SCA last year. I got a reply from the Dept of Digital, Culture, Media & Sport(!) telling me that financial institutions had been explicitly told to recognise that not all customers would have a mobile or a signal and that "alternative arrangements" should be in place

If they're not then you can make a formal complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman

I've made 4 so far about different banks 

Login to Me Too

nithsdalenoddy
Contributor
Contributor

Update

for the first time ever I've just been asked to verify a Paypal payment

Message popped up asking if I wanted the 4 digit code sent as an SMS to a mobile number or to my registered landline number

Chose the latter and everything worked (except for a very annoying automated amercan voice!0

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.