New Policy Updates 4-6-19

252SteveB
Contributor
Contributor

Did I understand the new policy correctly that if I make a refund to anyone PayPal KEEPS the seller fees anyway and does not refund them back? If this is the case and with all the competition and the longevity of my account (19 years). When eBay goes with the new payment vendor saying goodbye to PayPal wont be so bad. Who the Hell came up with this Idea?.. FIRE THEM! Keeping Money that you did not earn paypal is dishonest. 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@252SteveB wrote:

Did I understand the new policy correctly that if I make a refund to anyone PayPal KEEPS the seller fees anyway and does not refund them back? If this is the case and with all the competition and the longevity of my account (19 years). When eBay goes with the new payment vendor saying goodbye to PayPal wont be so bad. Who the Hell came up with this Idea?.. FIRE THEM! Keeping Money that you did not earn paypal is dishonest. 

How do you know whether the new system eBay uses also don't refund payment processing fees? Has it occurred to you that maybe that is why PayPal made this change to be included as a payment option along with Ayden? Maybe credit card processors don't refund the fees when you process a refund. Look it up.

PayPal decided to change the dispute time to file from 45 days to 180 days because credit cards allow 180 days.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

evernessince
Contributor
Contributor

Just to clear some things up here: Every credit card processor refunds the interchange fee.  Visa, Mastercard, capitalone, it's standard practice.  What they do keep, like PayPal for a short while more still does, is the routing fee.  In the case of PayPal it's the flat $0.30 you are charged per transaction.  PayPal charges you a flat fee, an interchange fee, and adds some on top for the transaction protection they provide.  Under the new proposed rules, they are being refunded the interchange fee by credit card processors and simply pocketing it instead of refunding the seller.  In addition, they are also pocketing the extra they add on top of the interchange fee, which is ironic given they are not providing those services for a transaction that's been canceled.

The cost for paypal to cancel a transaction is that 0.30 fee.

Login to Me Too

252SteveB
Contributor
Contributor

eBay and PayPal parted ways months and months back. Im not sure that eBay has the full control of PayPal funds and can refund back the fees that PayPal decided to keep. My whole issue is PayPal keeping something they did not earn. If I have to make a full or partial refund to anyone for any reason then PayPal should do likewise. 

Login to Me Too

evernessince
Contributor
Contributor

Of course they should give you a refund.  They already keep the transaction fee regardless, now they decided to keep their commission for canceled sales as well.

Login to Me Too

Annoyedagain
Contributor
Contributor

The funny thing is that  called Paypal today to confirm this (and cancel my account) based on a previous post I had on this forum today. The lady flat out lied and said that there was not such change currently or in the coming months. I knew she was lying and just hung up.  That is to be expected from them.

Yes - they are trying to squeezed you in the spot where it hurts.  Just know they are no longer to be trusted as they must be on some good drugs to think that this will be appreciated by their customers.  Bottom line - Paypal hates their customers (but loves their moneySmiley Surprised)

Login to Me Too

Seller123456
Contributor
Contributor

If a buyer makes an order and provides an incorrect shipping address, I can't ship to that address because I'm not protected as a seller. Normally I would cancel the sale or issue a refund and ask the buyer to correct their address and repurchase. Does this mean that paypal would keep the fees of the original payment?

• "We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you."
Login to Me Too

illusions1137
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree. It's just outrageous that PayPal would want to keep its fees if an item is returned for a refund.  Just mindboggling that someeone would make such a proposterous policy. And if they don't change this brilliant idea, I too will have zero problem switching to ebay's alternative payment processing vendor.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.