Never ever buy a card with PayPal

Bwfencer
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a Apple Card from PAYPAL using PayPal to pay. I never got it and now PayPal says there is no purchase protection for gift cards and I can kiss my $90 goodby. PS It took almost a week to even get that response. Never put yourself in a position where you need to call them! You will wait hours on hold and still not get through. Mark all promotions you get from them as spam!!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bwfencer

Alternatively take a few seconds to read the short section on buyer protection before you start using Paypal to purchase items and see what coverage you have so you can risk assess your own transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bwfencer
Contributor
Contributor
OK, read the fine print. Understand that PayPal will deny buyer protection for the cards that you buy directly from PayPal based on this fine print. This means that PayPal can and will take your money, never send you the card then deny responsibility. Who would have thought that PayPal would cheat you like that? They do! If you read this and read the fine print you would be very foolish to buy gift card from them. Thus the very valid warning: NEVER EVER BUY GIFT CARDS FROM PAYPAL!!!!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bwfencer

Err, how can they 'deny responsibility' when they clearly listed that they were NOT responsible in their buyer protection policy??  Smiley Indifferent

And knowing that info you carried on anyway?

So Paypal say you are not covered and you choose to buy and then want coverage........nope doesn't work that way   Smiley Wink

You didn't buy a Paypal card, you bought an Apple card at your own risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bwfencer
Contributor
Contributor
Either you are not reading or you do not believe what I am saying. PayPal is the vendor here, not Apple! Walmart sells Apple Cards. They are a vendor. PayPal, using PayPal’s mailing list, in an email promoting an offer from PayPal and from a PayPal email address solicited money from me for a product that they wanted to sell. I agreed to buy it. PayPal then paid themselves (PayPal) out of my checking account. Here is a cut and paste of the notice that they sent to me: You sent a payment of $90.00 USD to PayPal Digital Gifts It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account. Merchant PayPal Digital Gifts ———- Now, when the vendor does not send the merchandise you are saying that I should contact the manufacturer (in this case Apple)? That is nuts! I never ask PayPal to cover this under a “buyer protection plan”, I simply asked PayPal, as the vendor who received my payment, to send me what I had ordered or give me my money back. PayPal was the one that chose to classify it as “buyer protection plan” issue and thus deny to take any action. I have two emails from them saying exactly that. To me it is just a matter that an ethical business fulfills and stands behind the items that they sell. I have no problem with the concept that they will not guarantee the quality of an Apple Card, I just believe that when PayPal is paid do something that they are selling they should deliver it or be accessible and quick to correct th problem if they do not. Regrettably this does not appear to be in PayPals values. The point of the post is my realization of just how difficult PayPal has made it to address any issue. I have been a loyal PayPal customer since the first started. I will certainly think twice the next time I send $600 to my daughter in Australia. It has always worked but if something should go amiss......
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.