Money sent to us by mistake? Is it a scam?

WestonD4
New Community Member
Hello, my wife was sent money today from someone we don’t know. They then sent her an email asking for the money back saying it was sent as a mistake. We are worried it is a scam? They keep emailing my wife asking for the money back. She hasn’t accepted the money or anything because we don’t know what to do. We tried calling PayPal earlier and were on hold for over 30 min.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WestonD4 

If you haven't ''accepted'' it yet then it should show as unclaimed on the senders side or pending and if it remains unclaimed then it should time out 30 days post payment.

If its accepted and its a goods/services payment then use the 'refund' option BUT as it was their mistake not yours make sure you do a part refund minus the fee that was deducted when you accepted it, if there was no fee and it was a friends/family payment then you can just refund it.

Click on the transaction for more details and to access refund but do not use the 'send money' option. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.