Money refunded into bank account, PayPal balance is negative

Nbargota21
New Community Member
I paid for flights using my PayPal account, and as the company went bust, I requested a refund from my bank which I got 12 hours later into my bank account. However, because the refund didn’t go through PayPal and then withdrawn into my account, my PayPal balance is in the negative (-€180 for the charge of the flights). I received the refund, so why is my account in the negative and how can I resolve this? My account is temporarily restricted.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

MLGore
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
We appreciate you letting us know what happened. I can't imagine being in that situation. Hope we can help explain what happened. It is possible that the initial charge was fronted by PayPal but since the bank refunded the money, not the merchant, the payment then was taken out from your PayPal balnce which resulted a negative account.Remember that at this point still Seller has the money that we fronted for you. Once the seller process your refund you will see the same amount going back to your bank account and PayPal will recover it then will remove the negative balance on your PayPal account. Have a nice day.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.