Money Request From Friend to Pay for Label I Bought From Paypal Fee?

mwebster51
Contributor
Contributor

I just purchased a label from Paypal to send a package to a friend. I then sent the friend a money request for the amount of the label. Paypal charge a fee for them to send me the money.  I didn't sell anything? Isn't that like double charging?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mwebster51 

Thats because you should have used the friends / family option and not the goods / services.

Differences.......

A money request is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
An invoice is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
Send money > goods/services is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
A business account paypal.me is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.
A paypal.me personal account is a friends/family payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mwebster51
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I chose Family Friends, I assume the problem would have been when my friend sent the money, he should have select Family Friends at some point?  It seems I can't make the request though Paypal in a case like this.  I assume I have to write the friend and give them my email and tell them to Send Money using Family Friends. Am I correct?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mwebster51 

Did you read my post above? Only you said you sent a money request, as i posted above a money request is NOT a friends/family payment so when they paid it would go as goods/services. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mwebster51
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I read your reponse. It may seem obvious to you but it was not to me.  I just wanted a little clarification

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mwebster51 

Which is why i posted this for you.

Differences.......

money request is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
An invoice is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
Send money > goods/services is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
A business account paypal.me is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.
A paypal.me personal account is a friends/family payment.

However you then replied saying you thought you sent it goods/services which you couldn't have if you sent a money request as per explanation above and was why I queried whether you had read it?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mwebster51
Contributor
Contributor

I am not used to these screens or and have very little experience with this process.  Certain aspects of the expanations did not make sense to me because I had a preconceived idea of how the process worked and I thought I was in a different screen than  I was. I understand now.  I guess I will just figure these things out on my own in the future since it appears it is very stressfull for those with more experience to work with someone who doesn't yet have the same grasp of the system.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.