June 30, 2018 deadline for updating browser

btmullenix
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ordinary account (but my debit card says 'Business' on it).  I just use PayPal to purchase items from e-bay (mostly).  My browsers are already at the top of their abilities and I can't afford to purchase a new computer.  Am I really not going to be able to see my PayPal account after 6/30/18?  Am I supposed to withdraw my money and close the account?  Seriously, what are 'poor' people supposed to do here?  I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every penny, and am unable to accommodate PayPal's upgrade request.  Would it make a difference if I had a personal account, in which case, how do I change from Business to Personal?  (Don't know how I got on Business in the first place).  I read the policy information and am completely lost, as I have no idea what all those initials stand for or if I use them to make purchases.  And even if I can continue to make purchases, if I can't see my account, I won't be able to track purchases or ask questions.  This is all very confusing for non-computer literate elderly people!

Login to Me Too
148 REPLIES 148

karen11thc
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone else receiving this notice from Pay Pa that we have to update our browser by June 30th to continue paying with at al?

Login to Me Too

MaritimeMoose
Contributor
Contributor

So how the hell is it fair and just that paypal is forcing us to upgrade browsers or no longer be able to use paypal. I run a small business and have a perfectly functioning 7 year old computer, it's upgraded as far as it can go browser wise and now I will be forced to buy another computer or eat dirt. NOT IMPRESSED. This should not be mandatory.

However I also get that they have to upgrade for security reasons as well. But how many people and businesses will now be forced to buy another computer.

Login to Me Too

jakee308
New Community Member

I can't afford a new computer and that's what it would take to get a new up to date browser. paypal has just told ppl like us to fo. i will just close the account as it won't be any more use to me. This will also affect ebay as that is what i use pay pal the most for.

Smooth move paypal. Did you take a poll to see how many users you were going to lose? couldn't figure out a way to work around?

Login to Me Too

MaritimeMoose
Contributor
Contributor

I think if they gave us more time it would have been completely acceptable, for example 6 months, but less than 3 weeks to buy a new computer! This is not going to be good for many of us smaller businesses.

Login to Me Too

Hollyr
New Community Member
Same issue here. If not able to access Paypal account to make payment so much for paperless statements. This is short notice for purposes of billing cycles.
Login to Me Too

mrbighead
New Community Member

I received an email that says my web browser is not compliant. I don't believe that to be true. Is this a scam?

Login to Me Too

Texean
New Community Member

Beyond that, I looked at Paypal's requirements for browser version under the "learn more" link and I have a version that is supposed to be supported, but get the message on the top of the web page that says it is not.  One or the other is wrong.

Login to Me Too

lascrucesst
Contributor
Contributor

I did too.  I checked my browser.  Says it's up to date.  When I try to log into the "sandbox" I cannot.

PayPal-any suggestions?

Login to Me Too

curious2424
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same message and have just wasted 1/2 hour of my life checking this out. If it is not a scam, then paypal should be ashamed of the way they made this announcement. I got a clear message that my browser was NOT compliant. I used their method to check version number (they said look under "tools"- that did not work). My version of internet explorer was 11.48*****. The list said they needed version 11 or above. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE! Then I tried their method of seeing whether my browser could open their help page. The browser had no problem.

And yet paypal's message was I AM NOT COMPLIANT (yes I am yelling).

If this is a scam, ignore everything I have to say. If this was some paypal's lazy method of forcing everyone to check their browser using scare tactics, then whoever had this idea should be given additional training in customer service.

Login to Me Too

molly10
Contributor
Contributor

Got an email saying I have to update my web browser and to go to the sandbox site. When I do and go to sign in it wont take my password. I have never been to sandbox before. I don't know what to do! HELP!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.