June 30, 2018 deadline for updating browser

btmullenix
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ordinary account (but my debit card says 'Business' on it).  I just use PayPal to purchase items from e-bay (mostly).  My browsers are already at the top of their abilities and I can't afford to purchase a new computer.  Am I really not going to be able to see my PayPal account after 6/30/18?  Am I supposed to withdraw my money and close the account?  Seriously, what are 'poor' people supposed to do here?  I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every penny, and am unable to accommodate PayPal's upgrade request.  Would it make a difference if I had a personal account, in which case, how do I change from Business to Personal?  (Don't know how I got on Business in the first place).  I read the policy information and am completely lost, as I have no idea what all those initials stand for or if I use them to make purchases.  And even if I can continue to make purchases, if I can't see my account, I won't be able to track purchases or ask questions.  This is all very confusing for non-computer literate elderly people!

Login to Me Too
148 REPLIES 148

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Just make sure that what ever web browser you're using is the latest version - for example if using IE and you have Windows Update, it's normally updated automatically - if using Chrome or Firefox, clicking on the "Help" then "About" will update Firefox and is done similar with Chrome.

Login to Me Too

LostGirl
Contributor
Contributor

U.S. user here, on Windows 7.  I keep getting the message that Chrome is not up to date.  Paypal's instructions indicate Version 69, but I can't find that.  The most recent version I see - which I am using - is 67(with numbers after).  There seems to be no Version 69, even according to Chrome.  SURE COULD USE A REPLY FROM ANYONE WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THIS.  Is it a typo on Paypal's instructions?  Again, I can not find anything past CHROME 67 VERSION.  Thanks for any help.

Login to Me Too

BINGBANK3
Contributor
Contributor

i have an asus chromebox-the little square box computer-as to the june 30th update to TL whatever it is called. is that not done automatically by goggle?  put it another way in checking the various browser systems to choose from i did not find one i thought matched my computer.

Login to Me Too

tcvarlh
Contributor
Contributor

I have been getting a message stating that after 30 June this year IF don't 'upgrade' my browser to either a Windows base system or a Mac sited one I will be locked out of my account?  What the hell is that?  I've been a Linux user for 15 years.  I have no intention of downgrading my PC to accommodate PayPal and buying an Apple, is totally out of the question.  PayPal you need to realise not every person will follow sheep-like the windows way, some of us prefer a little individuality.  So PayPal get a LINUX acceptable browser on the team, just not bloody Safari.  

Login to Me Too

VenomSteve
Contributor
Contributor

Eh? I received an email from Paypal stating that my browser is out of date and I won't be able to access the site or use Paypal after June 30th. However will I click the link and check the browser, it says that my browser is up to date. Why the conflicting messages? I checked their 'sandbox' link and the page loads. So, am I alright or do I need to update? They say one thing and then another. The other link, where a message appears: internet connection ok - also works but still that original message makes me think I'm not going to be ok. It's confusing and Paypal don't seem to be the easiest site to actually get answers from. What should I do?

Login to Me Too

TJMcK722
Contributor
Contributor

Today I accessed my PayPal account and was greeted with the message:

Before June 30th, 2018 PayPal is requiring all account users to update their browsers to remain compliant with new security standards. You will not be able to access your PayPal account after June 30th if your browser isn’t updated. Learn how to upgrade your browser.

I went to the help information to learn more about this, only to find that there was no Linux browsers "recommended".  

Does this mean that no Linux browsers will be supported and that I will not have any access to PayPal via my Linux computers?

(I use the most recent stable versions of Firefox and Chromium.)

Login to Me Too

Elmbeard
Contributor
Contributor

The advice given by PayPal is misleading.  I run Firefox 48 on OS X 10.6.8, which is not listed in their list of approved browsers.

The issue is over limiting https encryption to TLS1.2 and disabling any access via the older SSL or TLS1.0 or 1.1 encryptions that can be hacked.  This can be done on older versions of Firefox (such as v.48) through about:config. https://www.computerworld.com/article/3208184/enterprise-applications/restricting-firefox-to-tls-ver... shows you how.  When I did this and then did the test recommended here: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-check-and-update-my-web-browser-faq3893 I got "PayPal Connection ok" with no further action required.  It should be possible to do a similar tweak through Linux.

It remains to be seen if PayPal will disable all browsers that are not listed in their approved upgrades, using User Agent, rather than the encryption test.  Perhaps we could have some clarification here from the mods?

Login to Me Too

Gerald25
Contributor
Contributor

I have just updated my browser (Google Chrome) to the latest version (Version 67.0.3396.62). I get the message: "Google Chrome is up to date". After restarting the browser, after logging out an in again into paypal, I still get the message, that my browser needs updating to the newest version. ("Before June 30th, 2018 PayPal is requiring all account users to update their browsers to remain compliant with new security standards. You won't be able to access your PayPal account after June 30th if your browser isn’t updated.")  That's a bit unsettling.  What's wrong?

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I had a similar problem - I just checked both my computer and phone's browsers, and they're both up-to-date. Nothing happens to confirm that I'm in the clear besides the "PayPal_Connection_OK" on the test page. I'm wondering why have I been getting emails and even physical mail saying that I've been ignoring them and prompting me to update my browser??

Login to Me Too

nema107
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't a clue what is up, what to do about this new security requirement other than to update my browser which I have already done, HOWEVER, it will be disastrous for me to be locked out of PayPal.  I am totally dependent on PayPal with a current sales project of personal items being sold and of course, I am always using PayPal for purchases.

Please let me know if there is anything that I need to do other than the simple Browser Update which is Chrome 

Version 67.0.3396.62 (Official Build) (64-bit) because that is it for me.

I know next to nothing other than what I have learned on my own over the years so I am just a fast key stroker and an old lady who just uses the computer for light business and shopping.  Still, I am quite dependent on my computer as I am virtually housebound. When I read all that was available to read regarding these NEW Regulations on PayPal I wanted to scream.  Especially when after stating that this must be done by 30 June 2018 AND THEN LATER SAID NO WORRIES... "You have OVER A YEAR".  WHAT THE HECK?? Looked like 30 DAYS to me. WOW.

So there it is.  A scary situation for me.  I mean, give it to me straight.  Am I okay or what?

Thank You wonderful techies out there.  I would spend many restless nights and worrisome days without you.

Best Regards,
Linda aka nema107

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.