Jefferson Capital

IsThisAScam1
New Community Member

I am not getting anywere with the PayPal customer service line or their messaging system. I received a letter from Jefferson Capital attempting to collect a PayPal debt. However, when I log in to my account, by PayPal account appears current. Is this a PayPal scam? I don't think I can trust PayPal.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

mbrogan
New Community Member

I got a letter from CBE group trying to collect for Jefferson capital systems, for a Paypal debt.  WTF????  No idea where this came from.  Called a number, and they asked for SS # for ID.  Yeah right.....

Anybody else get a collection letter from either of these outfits?

Login to Me Too

Rox8
Contributor
Contributor
mbrogam, I also got the same letter it is from Jefferson Capital for some old debth of $47.00 I am new with PayPal as of this past April 2021 WTH?
Login to Me Too

zenlawguy
Contributor
Contributor

Has PayPal addressed this problem with this Jefferson Capital (JCap) scam? I saw one generic response from PayPal saying, "sorry for the confusion" and that they sold some delinquent accounts to JCap. That doesn't answer the BIG question: Why are those of us who have solid PP accounts without any negative balance getting letters and emails from JCap saying we owe money on past due PP accounts? This isn't merely "confusion," PayPal; it's a scam and you're letting it happen. I'm closing my PP account. There's too many options out there that won't stand for a fraudulent company scamming its customers.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @zenlawguy, @Rox8, and everyone, 

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I can understand how receiving an unexpected collection letter in the mail can be quite concerning. After a bit of research, I can confirm PayPal may charge-off accounts with a negative or overdue balance to outside agencies, one of them being Jefferson Capital. With that in mind, I would recommend working with Jefferson Capital to see if the debt came from a negative balance on a PayPal account or one of our credit products. If you have question about the debt, or if it's due to identity theft, that would be something you would want to work out with Jefferson Capital. While you're welcome to reach out to PayPal Customer Support on this issue, there may be very limited details they would be able to provide. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

zenlawguy
Contributor
Contributor

Is PayPal going to reimburse me for my time wasted in attempting to fix a false claim by Jcap that I owe a PayPal debt? It's interesting that the very first thing JCap offered was to "settle" the debt for a fraction of what I supposedly owe (note that my PayPal account has never been in the negative; it's impossible because it's connected to several funding sources to avoid this). It's also interesting that PayPal NEVER made an attempt to contact me about this supposed debt. BTW, I make $300 an hour. Want a copy of my firm's contract to verify my hourly rate??

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.