It must a Singaporean to own an SG account?

Simeny
Contributor
Contributor

hi all,

Can I apply an SG Paypal Account to send and receive money if I am not Singaporean? Will my Paypal be limited and ask for a Singaporean ID Card to verify and unlimited it?

Thanks,

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

You don’t need to be a Singaporean or a resident to open a Singapore PayPal account. You must have a Singapore bank or Singapore issued credit or debit card linked to your PayPal account.

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

Simeny
Contributor
Contributor

If only I need to use it to receive money? Will the PayPal account limitation will be triggered and ask for ID information to verify account information?

Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

You don’t need to be a Singaporean to open a Singapore PayPal account as I have already told you. But how are you to receive money paid into it when you don’t have a Singapore bank account  to transfer the money to? Opening an account does not require an ID, but it will have limit restrictions until you link your account to previously mentioned cards.

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

Simeny
Contributor
Contributor

if i use it to receive a large amount of money from oversea accumulated, will paypal ask for a real Singaporean person info to qualify to own an SG account?

and last i can open an SG bank account to transfer paypal balance from paypal to my bank.

Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

Excuse me, I don’t mean to be rude but how much more of “YOU DONT NEED TO BE A SINGAPOREAN TO OPEN A PAYPAL ACCOUNT IN SINGAPORE” don’t you understand?

Any amount of money received into a new PayPal account may have restrictions and that amount may be held for review before released. 

You need to be a Singapore resident , which means holding an employment pass, work permit etc to open a Singapore bank account which must be applied in person. 

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Simeny 

Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

IF you are trying to use another countries account because paypal is not available in your country then sadly no it would soon be limited.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

There are some exceptions as some bank accounts can be linked to specific Paypal accounts in some countries.....you can sometimes add another countries card BUT the billing address of the card has to match the address of the paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

You can open a Singapore PayPal account if you have bank, address etc relevant to opening that account but again, you do not have to be a Singaporean.

I have 4 different PayPal accounts in various countries only because I’ve credit, debit or bank accounts and have local addresses linked to each relevant account. Each were opened when I was in relevant country. 

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MY-Canuck,

It is necessary to reside in the country where you open an account, or if you have a Business account, to have a business in that country. If you maintain and use 4 different accounts in different countries, you run a risk of having limitations on those accounts, declined payments, and other issues. If you lived in the account's country at the time you opened it and no longer do, closure of the account is recommended. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Olivia 

I have legal residency status and hold business and personal accounts in all countries.

I’ve closed two other PayPal accounts in Europe because I no longer use them there. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.