Is this a scam?

celineben

Someone in the US is sending me money. Is it true that I have to pay a fee before the money goes through into my paypal? 50$ fee for 1000$ transaction. They emailed me and asked me to purchase a 50$ gift card through "card delivery.com" and send them the card after i've purchased it & the 1000$ will immediately go into my account. Is this a scam?

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

Kendred
New Community Member
If I have already given the individual my email can they take money out of my account?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Kendred,

Good question! A person cannot access your account with the email alone. They would need the password, or enough other personal information to complete password recovery. It's very important to keep your personal information protected to prevent that from happening.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

BrieCheese7
Contributor
Contributor

No they cant take money out of your acccount but if you send anything you cannot get it back 

Login to Me Too

navys

<removed> i got an email saying these people will give me a £1000 gift card to my paypal if i give my card details and pay £14

Login to Me Too

Jess211burns
Contributor
Contributor
I got an email ending with post.com saying they had a problem crediting my account with the buyers fund because the amount is too big and my account wasn’t set up for a business account. I was told in the instructions that the buyer was arranged to add another 750 to the fund I was receiving from him so in total id be receiving 2k .. but in order to get my money I have to buy A steam gift card of the amount of 750. I was about to and was told by a clerk at CVS that she’s never heard of such a thing.. is this a scam or not? *apparently I couldn’t post this w the original email* somebody help me ASAP!!!
Login to Me Too

Olgalan
Contributor
Contributor
It’s a scam. Don’t buy and don’t send your info
Login to Me Too

Wolfqueen92
I never got an email but the person sent a pic saying it needed one of those cards to be able to finish the transition but I feel like it's a scam if I'm buying a card just have money sent to me
Login to Me Too

Temp20220923C
Oh my God, the same thing is happening to me right now. I live in Australia, and we have a site called gumtree where we sell stuff, the guy who wants to buy told me to buy steam cards and that once i do that my psypal account will be credited with the full amount. I only bought one for $100 i thought this was all legit because i got the email from paypal but now they are askimg for $200.
Login to Me Too

Jess211burns
Contributor
Contributor
Yea don’t buy more!
Login to Me Too

Nada2021
Contributor
Contributor
What is the buyer asking exactly? I think someone tried to scam me also from Gumtree .
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.