Is this a scam

Lewis159357
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I posted on gumtree yesterday and a man saying he wants to buy my item, everything seemed fine until I got this email, is this a scam? Hi again I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment as discussed via my paypal. PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your registered paypal email ..................... I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via bank transfer.I added the £205 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the bank charges,you will receive the total sum of £335 in your account after you have made the payment of £205 via bank transfer and get back with the transfer details as instructed on the payment confirmation. Here is the details needed for the transfer below: First name: Wale Last name: <removed>Sort Code: 236972 Account Number: <removed> Country : United Kingdom Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements Thanks for your help Michael On Tue, May 15, 2018

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Lewis159357

That's a scam.

Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name or business name. If you're unsure of an email, don't click any links in the email, go to the website directly and log in to see if you have any transactions or notices in your account. If you don't see any any transactions, its safe to say that you didn't receive any funds. 

Here is a PayPal link with details on fake emails.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340

Here is a PayPal link with details on scams.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/scams-on-craigslist-and-other-classifieds-websites-faq302...

Login to Me Too

LAP26
New Community Member
Thanks @Lewis159357 for sharing this scam with the community. I have today received the same email requesting me to send money to pay the agent. Did something happen after this? Did they manage to access any of your account with the info they had?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.