Is this a scam or not?

Jnar26
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, I’m currently selling my graphics card in trademe and someone was interested but I found her reply odd since doing research I found out that there is such thing as Kathy smith scam. I just want to make sure that this is the same scam Here’s the email: “Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it??. I wanted to buy this for my son in USA, but the issue is I am away at sea at the moment, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will get it to my son's location safely. If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the information below to proceed with the payment.” Please reply ASAP Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jnar26 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

OR
The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

eniemi
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Jnar26 I would advice you to take caution and read the agreement on PayPal and seller protection. If you choose to sell the item to this person, you need to make sure they first send a commercial payment for goods. It's always the seller who stands for fee AND shipping with tracking. If you've a buyer who offer stand for cost of fee or shipping you can only do so by just increasing the price of the item so they pay more. Always be logging into PayPal website to see so you have received the money even if you happen to get a mail from PayPal (or what could look from PayPal) always enter the website on your web browser yourself and log in and view that you have received the money to your PayPal balance. Once you are sure that you've received the payment and it's for goods, you could ship the item but you must (depending on your country but in most countries) ship it using tracking, and it has to be delivered to the address you will see in the payment. And when you send it, save the receipt that shows the address that you sent the item to. Remember it's always sender of the item that is responsible for the item to be delivered or available for the receiver to pick up the item. Cannot say for sure it's a scam but do not accept personal pickup/"mover" of the item or that they stand for shipping. Read on seller protection and it will save you 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jnar26 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

OR
The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dayo150672
New Community Member

This is basically what I just got today also, word for word! This one used the name of Dan <removed> and as soon as I read his email, I could tell it was a scam straight away. Just don't reply and delete the emails.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.