Is this a scam email?

kerryf88
Contributor
Contributor
Received an email from this address called “preformly” gmail stating Invoice from XOOM Inc. Content include: Thanks for choosing Xoom. We've received your transaction and are currently processing it. We'll send you another email with specific details once your payment is processed and your transaction is sent to our partner HBL for deposit. And some transaction info and a link to preview transaction (which I didn’t click). Upon googling I found XOOM is a service of PayPal but I’ve never used it, I think it’s a scam?
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

RayE1
New Community Member
I ignored the email. Looks fishy
Login to Me Too

Oh_Henry
Contributor
Contributor
Received the same email with the email header from support AT madeium.com and payment made to Pakistan. Looks really well done but believe to be phishing attempt
Login to Me Too

UsagiLily
Contributor
Contributor

I got it too. I don't think they can have my credit card information since the one registered on paypal is an old card I don't have anymore. I still sent an e-mail to my bank conselor and she advised me to stop my credit card just in case.

Login to Me Too

Oh_Henry
Contributor
Contributor
Not sure I understand... They advised you to stop a credit card you no longer have?
Login to Me Too

cloroxwipes

I got this same email on Dec 8th from the address support (at) madeium (dot) com that read "Thanks for choosing Xoom. We've received your transaction and are currently processing it.
We'll send you another email with specific details once your payment is processed and your transaction is sent to our partner HBL for deposit." , followed by a transaction preview (did not click). 

The supposed recipient was "Habib Bank Limited" / somebody located in Pakistan. 

I terminated that Paypal account since I hadn't used it in years and the card associated with that account had expired, but my bank info was still attached. This scam seems pretty well done, I've been googling for half an hour now  while slightly freaking out. When I googled madeium it seems to be some kind of graphic design site or something of the like. I did not click on their website, but I wonder if their email has been hacked to be used for this scam? 

Login to Me Too

Sassyself3
New Community Member
I got the exact email today and I’m ignoring it.
Login to Me Too

Dundeefc
Contributor
Contributor
Yes. Definitely. Delete it. This is a common scam trying to get details. No company will make requests of this nature.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.