Is this a potential fraud scam?

riverlandsblue
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, my name is [name of person] and thanks for your response. I am happy to hear that the ( western Saddle) is still for sale,, i am an oceanographer and presently working on the sea due to my status of work, i won't be able to see the item but i will be okay with the pictures and i would be happy to purchase it from you. My mode of payment is PayPal because my bank account is linked to my PayPal account and PayPal is a secured method of payment for both of us. I would like to ask you some question regarding the item.

1. Are you the real owner?

2. What is the present condition?

3. If pictures is available you can email me some pictures.

I will like you to send me you pay pal money request direct to my verified Pay pal email address which is [email address] so that i can proceed with the payment, and if you don't have an account with Pay Pal, You can easily set up an account with them by going to their official website www. pay pal.com.

Regards

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@riverlandsblue 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.

They often say they are in the military or working abroad and so paypal is the only way that they can pay.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@riverlandsblue 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.

They often say they are in the military or working abroad and so paypal is the only way that they can pay.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.