Is this a fraudulent transaction?

YogaMom2018
New Community Member

Recently I noticed some transactions on my credit card that I don't recognize, for small amounts of money, that would usually signify to me that they were Etsy or farmer's market purchases.  Normally I wouldn't worry, but these ones are all marked Paypal with the usual phone number showing on the statement (<removed>).  I decided to double check on the Paypal website, and cannot find these transactions anywhere in my Paypal transaction history.  My question is, is there any situation in which I could make a paypal purchase that would show on my credit card statement, but not the site?  Are there background merchant accounts where small merchants can accept credit card payments that would display "paypal" on my statement, but not be associated with my actual paypal account?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@YogaMom2018

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your paypal account then of course it won't show on your paypal account as you bought as a 'guest buyer'.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@YogaMom2018

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your paypal account then of course it won't show on your paypal account as you bought as a 'guest buyer'.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

YogaMom2018
New Community Member

Thank you so much, that's what I figured had happened.  Have a great day!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.