Is this a fraud attempt?

DBallu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Three times this Fall, I have been alerted by Shopify that transactions have a High Alert for Fraud. Each of the transactions were from a yahoo email address and all the orders were placed hundreds or a thousand miles away from the ship-to address. Strangely enough, two of the bigger transactions were from two people I searched who were supposedly Chiropractors. 

My dilemma is that the transactions were made on credit cards through PayPal. Payment was received and on one, I transferred the $900+ amount to my bank before I read the fraud alert. PayPal said I had to settle repayment with the customer by myself. I searched for the customer and found it was a Chiropractor. I sent emails both to the address from the order and to the chiropractic clinic where this doctor theoretically works. No response and I never sent any product because that was what was advised. I am setting up a separate bank act. to hold both these transactions until I figure it out or hear from someone. I am afraid that somewhere credit cards have been compromised and someone is losing money to me, which will need to be returned. The last two orders have had no response to emails, phone calls, etc. The third one did respond by email but never sent me information to refund the money. In all three cases, I sent no product. It is very strange to me and I would love to know how to prevent this. I don't want money from some kind of fraud attempt. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_paula

Hi DBallu, 

Welcome to the PayPal community. I am sorry to hear that you are having such issues. If you have received payments into your account that you were not supposed to receive then the best option would be to click on the refund button next to the transaction and send the funds back to the account they came from.  This way even if a case is opened against the payment, you will already have refunded it. 

I hope this helps, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.