Is it normal for a buyer to add shipping charges

PhilippeWien

Hi,

i am using Paypal for the first time to sell an item which was posted on a local internet marketplace.

I have received an email from "Paypal" (or whoever is behing this) confirming that the buyer has made a payment, but this is still pending.

The buyer added extra money to cover the transport which appear on my mail as "shipping charges" - is this a common practise? It was not agreed beforehand in the emails we exchanged, and so has raised suspicions with me.

The buyer now says that i must transfer these additional shipping charges to the transport company via Western Union - i will then send the western union confirmation code to Paypal in order to receive my payment - so basically i will have transfered money before receiving mine - all seems very dubious to me!  This is explained to me both in the email that the buyer sent me, as well as the email from "Paypal" or whoever is behing it. Could you please tell me if this is a common practise? There's a few small grammar and other mistakes in the "Paypal" email which further raised suspicion.

According to the buyer: "I am sure you noticed that, according to paypal's policy you'll have to send the extra amount to the shipping company headquarters through western union or do it online (www.westernunion.com) using your credit card and then send the western union money transfer information to paypal for verification, so the transaction can be finalized" - could you please tell me if this is really part of paypals policy? Or is this some type of scam?

thanks alot for your help!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.