Is it a scam

brackeenbrandy
New Community Member

I've never sold anything on PayPal buisness before so its new. I sent it out and gave the tracking information. The agent for this is named Shara White. I just think the emails are kind of weird and dont want to be scammed.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nero_Mero 

Yes course its a scam.

Why would paypal tell you to buy Steam cards to use your paypal account.  >>>>>>

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other 'reasons' that you must send them a payment for custom fees etc.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc or buy any tokens or cards.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brackeenbrandy

SOUNDS LIKE THIS SCAM ...

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout. They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

brackeenbrandy
New Community Member
The emails were in spam. So its most llikely a scam?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brackeenbrandy

Pretty much.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Elizabethmelara
New Community Member
I lost a phone today and give him tracking number and he want me to go to Walmart and buy him a gift card so he can send me the money . I feels frustrated but be carful is scam and you will loose ur stuff
Login to Me Too

JordanCrenshaw1
Contributor
Contributor
I had a guy message me about shoes and I had given him my PayPal and then he said that he had made the payment of $260 to me and that I need to ship the shoes. And I did and I regret it but then I got a email saying that an extra $1700 was taken out of his account and transferring to mine by accident and now have $1960 pending in my account. And he said that if I send him $100 through western union he’ll tell them to continue the process and once I have the money in my account. Pay him the rest of what he lost.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JordanCrenshaw1 

Its a SCAM.

If he had paid then it would SHOW in your paypal account balance, even if pending it would still SHOW.

And if and only if he had overpaid then paypal certainly would not tell you to use a RIVAL payment processor ie western union to return the funds, all you would have to do is click on refund and retur the overpayment.

Ignore, they are scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Nero_Mero
Contributor
Contributor
I think I was scammed too since it was in the Scam area of the email. The person was trying to buy my laptop and paid $100 dollars but it was held due to my Account Limit. So far I was told I need to pay back/refund $500 dollars but in Steam Gift Cards. If anyone knows anything about this I would like to know if this is a scam or not.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nero_Mero 

Yes course its a scam.

Why would paypal tell you to buy Steam cards to use your paypal account.  >>>>>>

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other 'reasons' that you must send them a payment for custom fees etc.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc or buy any tokens or cards.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Nero_Mero
Contributor
Contributor
You actually do have a point, even the person/buyer is not telling me to buy the steam gift card so she can get "money's back and I get mine, but to spend $500 dollars on steam gift cards isn't right, plus one give away that it might be a scam is the email had the name Shara White. Should I block the scammer's number or do I report this to the police or the bank?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.