If you are purchasing something privately,how do you make sure your rearends is covered best?

sandyskw
Contributor
Contributor

My son want to purchase something for approximately $600 against my best judgement. The guy is in the U.S. and has a collection of action figures. Since he wanted to go ahead,I thought the best way may be by PayPal,using credit card option. I read you should get a detailed invoice including shipping,my son was sent pictures,I read to use the option that you were paying for something,but the guy wants it send under the option,send money to friends and family (he said he has no fee then?) Is one way better then the other,or is coverage better? The guy wants an answer by tomorrow. Is anyone familiar with some of these details?  Thanks for anyones information. I want him to have the least likely hood of being scammed.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sandyskw

I would avoid that transaction like the plague !!!! If he is asking for you to pay using the friends / family option then read this.....

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sandyskw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. We spoke to him,said we won't do transaction unless we can mark as a payment for goods and services and he is ok with it. Anything else we should request besides an invoice? Anything I may be missing still? 

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

go make a copy of Paypal terms and agreement 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.