If I sell from a website as USD & Paypal is AUD who pays conversion?

dogsthatwag
Contributor
Contributor

I am creating a website selling widgets in US dollars.

My account is in AUD

Does the customer pay the conversion fee?

If I set up my paypal as US dollar, I know that I pay the exchange rate plus a conversion fee when I withdraw from Paypal which I want to avoid as then I will be paying two sets of Paypal fees.

Any tips or advice would be most welcome.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dogsthatwag 

For what you want, the best option is to sell in AUD, receive in AUD, and withdraw in AUD to AU bank for free. The buyers will deal with the exchange and conversion rates.

If you sell in USD, receive in USD, then you're essentially dealing with the exchange and conversion rates. You can open a USD currency balance in PayPal balance beforehand to accept and keep the USD currency there as is until you want to withdraw it, then the conversion/exchange rates to AUD apply on the withdraw, unless you linked and confirmed an actual US bank account, then you can withdraw in USD. There might be a fee though. Have to look that up in the fee table in the User agreement to be sure.

Those are your only two options.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dogsthatwag
Contributor
Contributor

Yes if it is all in AUD that is easiest, however I am concerned that international customers will not like seeing the price as AUD.

If I set my shop up as US dollars for pricing, How would it work if I had a AUD Paypal and sold in US dollars? Does the client pay the conversion when they purchase? Or does the money land as US dollars and then I am still stuck with the conversion fee when I withdraw.

Sorry, I am just trying to get my head around it clearly.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.