I was scammed out of $770 with fake paypal emails

HunterSiggs
Contributor
Contributor
Okay, so I sold my item (Camera) on gumtree and the buyer said she'd paid the $770 through PayPal and I believed it because I was sent emails from paypal ,(which I've now found out are illegitimate and not from paypal at all) saying that the tracking number needs to be put in before the funds can be released. I did this and I got another fake email back saying they'll be released in 24-48 hours, it's been 4 days and im sitting here short of $770 while some **bleep** in america gets a free camera and since the emails weren't legit im not sure if paypal can help, I have the receipt from the post office and screenshots of all the fake emails and sorry if this is incoherent im just super panicked right now and don't know what to do to get my money
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HunterSiggs 

Scam has been ongoing for about 10 years and all over the internet and I post about it at least 5 times every day.

Sadly as none of the transaction would have been done using paypals site then nothing you can do unfortunately.

Scammers usually using hijacked or anonymous email accounts and work out of internet cafes often in Africa.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.