I sent money request and it's still pending

TJMulvaney
Contributor
Contributor
I sent someone a money request and on Nov. 16, she said she sent the money (she had the screenshot of her payment) and that she sent it via her bank. I hear it takes 2 to 3 business days for the money to get through and yet the request is still pending. I'm trying PayPal assistant but nothing's happening. I just contacted them on Twitter via private message and I'm now waiting for the response. But I need to know: why is the request still pending?
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TJMulvaney 

No. Beware of scam, of fake screenshots/emails claiming of payment being made because "Pending" money requests AND invoices means it HAS NOT been paid. Any holds/pendings occur AFTER a payment is made if the payment is subject to a PayPal hold.

Of course the buyer can send the payment independently of the request/invoice if they can see your PayPal email address on the request/invoice to do it and then you mark the request/invoice as paid later.

Nevertheless, your buyer has not paid if you do not see a record of payment in your PayPal account, hold or not. Also check the request or invoice to see if there is a reference to a transaction ID that takes you to the record of payment in your account. If not, the buyer is lying to you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

TJMulvaney
Contributor
Contributor
No no no, this screenshot isn't a scam. I actually sent this person a request and she sent me a screenshot proving she paid me. And she stated she paid through her bank. But again it was on Nov 16. And today it's still pending. So why is it taking so long when I heard it takes 2 to 3 business days for the money to arrive?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TJMulvaney 

Okay so its not that the money request/invoice is pending but the payment transaction itself is pending? Click on the record of payment, not the request for status updates.

eChecks (bank payments that are not backed by credit card) are slow and arrival times are estimated and could take longer. Just don't ship until PayPal notifies you by email that payment has cleared.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

TJMulvaney
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but where and how can I find the record of payment?

Login to Me Too

TJMulvaney
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I figure out how to find my record of payment (sorry, I am slightly new to this), but what exactly is it I'm looking for to help me with my problem?

Login to Me Too

mollyoj30
did u manage to get the money in the end as I need to send a parcel off and the customer paid but the money is in my pending will I ever receive this money?
Login to Me Too

TJMulvaney
Contributor
Contributor
No, sorry, she sent a check instead. I think I hit the refund button.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.