I refunded a hacked buyer on Ebay, but got charged fee on refund which I'm not responsible

jasonjiaqili
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an Item on Ebay, but the buyer was hacked and he requested refund with me on Paypal, He paid $ 299.79, but Paypal refunded him $ 309.05 from my account, Why am I responsible for the $ 9.26 fee, How do I get it back? anyone had same experience and how did you resolve this? thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jasonjiaqili 

Looks like in order for the buyer to receive $299.79, you must send $309.05, so either PayPal is not refunding the original fees paid (variable and flat rate portions) as per their May 7th policy update, or there is a glitch because PayPal supposedly decided to hold off on the May 7th policy because it was controversial.

I haven't refunded any payments in eons so can't test for sure that they've decided to enforce the policy across the board now. I have read a few similar posts like yours saying that the variable fee portion has not been refunded but on the other hand I've read some are being refunded the variable rate portion but this was soon after May 7th. Also, PayPal's Help doc on variable fee refunds on issued refunds has not changed, that they do refund the variable rate portion.

I recommend contacting customer service about this and see if it was a glitch or not or is it only a certain amount they don't refund the variable rate (which is a pattern I am noticing):

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or private message via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jasonjiaqili 

Looks like in order for the buyer to receive $299.79, you must send $309.05, so either PayPal is not refunding the original fees paid (variable and flat rate portions) as per their May 7th policy update, or there is a glitch because PayPal supposedly decided to hold off on the May 7th policy because it was controversial.

I haven't refunded any payments in eons so can't test for sure that they've decided to enforce the policy across the board now. I have read a few similar posts like yours saying that the variable fee portion has not been refunded but on the other hand I've read some are being refunded the variable rate portion but this was soon after May 7th. Also, PayPal's Help doc on variable fee refunds on issued refunds has not changed, that they do refund the variable rate portion.

I recommend contacting customer service about this and see if it was a glitch or not or is it only a certain amount they don't refund the variable rate (which is a pattern I am noticing):

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or private message via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jasonjiaqili
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I was able to Chat with an agent, and he zero it out and add $ 9.26 back to my account

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.