I’m attempting to sell an item, what does PayPal require from me? Is there a “pickup fee”?

Rbrooks1
New Community Member

Someone has recently agreed to buy an item from me and said I would receive instructions from PayPal on how to release the money.  Part of those instructions said to buy amazon gift cards ($600.00) worth.  Is this a scam?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rbrooks1 

Yes, it is a scam. PayPal does not ask you to buy a gift card, pay a third party or ask for a tracking number before showing a payment in your account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rbrooks1 

Oh yes, big scam.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

They never tell you to buy amazon vouchers or itunes vouchers to release funds etc etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rbrooks1 

Yes, it is a scam. PayPal does not ask you to buy a gift card, pay a third party or ask for a tracking number before showing a payment in your account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.