Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@adriana53 

Yeah, you are being scammed. PayPal does not ask you to a) send money (because PayPal takes their small fee out of your incoming payment and the rest shows up in your account fairly instantly), b) buy gift cards, c) pay an unknown third party, d) use a third party payment processor or payment method in order for you to see/receive payment in your PayPal account.

If someone REALLY paid, you'd see a record of payment fairly instantly in your PayPal account, even if payment is subject to a PayPal hold, you'll still see a record of payment.

Never give out your account holder name, just your PayPal email address to avoid scammers sending fake PayPal payment emails addressing you by name that they've paid when they really haven't. The other party will see your name soon enough, when they've paid. PayPal payment emails contains very basic info: who paid, how much, for what, transaction ID number (no dashes), transaction date, shipping address if needed and not much else.

I'd ditch that email address account--at least remove it as your PayPal email address for now, create a new email account, add it to your PayPal account: here's how, as the primary. You can file an ic3.gov report, then contact cash app, where you bought the steam gift cards from, and your bank where you wire transferred the money to see if you can recover any money with the report. If your local PD has a cybercrime unit, file a report with them as well.

If you can't recover money, all is not lost, you paid tuition on a lesson learned.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

adriana53
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded paypal for the first time last week to receive a payment and ended sending payments in order to receive my first payment from somebody else for the past week I feel like I’m getting scammed

Through steam gift cards and cash app

Also did a wire transfer from my account

The false paypal email threatened to turn my name and information over to the authorities if I failed to send the money so I thought it was real

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@adriana53 

Yeah, you are being scammed. PayPal does not ask you to a) send money (because PayPal takes their small fee out of your incoming payment and the rest shows up in your account fairly instantly), b) buy gift cards, c) pay an unknown third party, d) use a third party payment processor or payment method in order for you to see/receive payment in your PayPal account.

If someone REALLY paid, you'd see a record of payment fairly instantly in your PayPal account, even if payment is subject to a PayPal hold, you'll still see a record of payment.

Never give out your account holder name, just your PayPal email address to avoid scammers sending fake PayPal payment emails addressing you by name that they've paid when they really haven't. The other party will see your name soon enough, when they've paid. PayPal payment emails contains very basic info: who paid, how much, for what, transaction ID number (no dashes), transaction date, shipping address if needed and not much else.

I'd ditch that email address account--at least remove it as your PayPal email address for now, create a new email account, add it to your PayPal account: here's how, as the primary. You can file an ic3.gov report, then contact cash app, where you bought the steam gift cards from, and your bank where you wire transferred the money to see if you can recover any money with the report. If your local PD has a cybercrime unit, file a report with them as well.

If you can't recover money, all is not lost, you paid tuition on a lesson learned.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

adriana53
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much !!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.