I don’t understand these fees

Oldgustav
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently sold a sizeable item in eBay and saw the payment arrive in my PayPal account, less £144.40 - which I took to be the selling fee. I was astonished to receive another fee of £250 +VAT from eBay today, which means the combine total for selling the item is 10% of the selling price. This seems like an incredible amount and certainly puts we off using eBay/PayPal for large items in the future. Are these amounts correct/genuine?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Oldgustav

Ebay and Paypal are 2 totally separate companies with a separate fee structure listed on both sites.

You pay Ebay to advertise and sell your items and Ebay invoice you on a monthly basis.

You pay Paypal to be able to accept online payments from buyers including from credit cards, those fees are deducted from your buyers payment instantly they pay.

Even 10% is a lot less than you would pay in an auction room when it could be 20% + VAT.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Oldgustav

Ebay and Paypal are 2 totally separate companies with a separate fee structure listed on both sites.

You pay Ebay to advertise and sell your items and Ebay invoice you on a monthly basis.

You pay Paypal to be able to accept online payments from buyers including from credit cards, those fees are deducted from your buyers payment instantly they pay.

Even 10% is a lot less than you would pay in an auction room when it could be 20% + VAT.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Oldgustav
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

Login to Me Too

enigma_s
New Community Member

Dear paypal friends, I have a businees acount with you, but you charge me 20% VAT for gold products. But there is no tax on gold coins and investment gold. this is my webpage: www.capitalcoins.com can you remove the VAT?

Thanks

Sam

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.