Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don’t understand these fees

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

I don’t understand these fees

I have recently sold a sizeable item in eBay and saw the payment arrive in my PayPal account, less £144.40 - which I took to be the selling fee. I was astonished to receive another fee of £250 +VAT from eBay today, which means the combine total for selling the item is 10% of the selling price. This seems like an incredible amount and certainly puts we off using eBay/PayPal for large items in the future. Are these amounts correct/genuine?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Advisor

Re: I don’t understand these fees

@Oldgustav

Ebay and Paypal are 2 totally separate companies with a separate fee structure listed on both sites.

You pay Ebay to advertise and sell your items and Ebay invoice you on a monthly basis.

You pay Paypal to be able to accept online payments from buyers including from credit cards, those fees are deducted from your buyers payment instantly they pay.

Even 10% is a lot less than you would pay in an auction room when it could be 20% + VAT.

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
2 REPLIES 2
Esteemed Advisor

@Oldgustav

Ebay and Paypal are 2 totally separate companies with a separate fee structure listed on both sites.

You pay Ebay to advertise and sell your items and Ebay invoice you on a monthly basis.

You pay Paypal to be able to accept online payments from buyers including from credit cards, those fees are deducted from your buyers payment instantly they pay.

Even 10% is a lot less than you would pay in an auction room when it could be 20% + VAT.

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
Contributor

Thanks for your reply and clarification.