I GOT SCAMMED

Scottappleby
New Community Member
I was supposed to get get Gift Cards from this person and I sent the money and he blocked me on Twitter I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Scottappleby 

Locate the transaction in your PayPal account activity. Does it say "Money Sent" as opposed to "Payment Sent"? Or if you clicked "Report a problem" in the transaction details and the only option you have to dispute is Unauthorized Payment? If so, then you paid via friends and family which is considered a gift payment and has no purchase protection. Therefore, no refunds. Why do you think the seller just simply block communication because they are not obligated to refund you. Even if you went ahead and disputed it as unauthorized, PayPal will deny it as you in fact authorized payment.

Your only recourse is if you paid with credit card, contact card issuer to dispute charge

Furthermore, gift cards transactions are also not covered under purchase protection:

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program

Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

• Real estate, including residential property.
  • Financial products or investments of any kind.
  • Businesses (when you buy or invest in a business).
  • Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, aircraft and boats.
  • Significantly Not as Described claims for wholly or partly custom-made items or an item purchased from a classified listing and picked up in person.
  • Donations including payments on crowdfunding platforms.
  • Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy.
  • For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing.
  • Anything purchased from, or an amount paid to, a government agency.
  • Stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards.
  • Gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize.
  • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. 
  • Payments sent using PayPal to any bill payment service.
  • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e. not sent using your PayPal account).

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_CA#purchase-protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Scottappleby 

Locate the transaction in your PayPal account activity. Does it say "Money Sent" as opposed to "Payment Sent"? Or if you clicked "Report a problem" in the transaction details and the only option you have to dispute is Unauthorized Payment? If so, then you paid via friends and family which is considered a gift payment and has no purchase protection. Therefore, no refunds. Why do you think the seller just simply block communication because they are not obligated to refund you. Even if you went ahead and disputed it as unauthorized, PayPal will deny it as you in fact authorized payment.

Your only recourse is if you paid with credit card, contact card issuer to dispute charge

Furthermore, gift cards transactions are also not covered under purchase protection:

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program

Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

• Real estate, including residential property.
  • Financial products or investments of any kind.
  • Businesses (when you buy or invest in a business).
  • Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, aircraft and boats.
  • Significantly Not as Described claims for wholly or partly custom-made items or an item purchased from a classified listing and picked up in person.
  • Donations including payments on crowdfunding platforms.
  • Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy.
  • For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing.
  • Anything purchased from, or an amount paid to, a government agency.
  • Stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards.
  • Gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize.
  • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. 
  • Payments sent using PayPal to any bill payment service.
  • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e. not sent using your PayPal account).

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_CA#purchase-protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.