How to protect against a scam?

Alex5555
New Community Member

I am selling my previous Iphone.  With no return allowed.   With lots of pictures and detailed description.   A person wants to buy and to pay via paypal.

Please tell me how to protect myself against a very common scam of today:

The person receives the item. Than contacts paypal and claims the item to be defective. Then he ships it back to seller. And presents to paypal the tracking number. Paypal returns him his payment.

When the seller receives the box he discovers inside a totally different phone.  Or nothing at all. Or just a can of soda. So the buyer gets the phone and all his money back. 

Can I protect myself somehow? Or I should agree only on "cash-for-phone" in person?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alex5555 

Get that 'No return' policy out of your mind right now as you can be disappointed because it won't fly with PayPal. No returns don't necessarily mean no refunds.

If you are selling electronics, it is high risk for scams. Don't sell what you can't afford to lose.

With PayPal disputes, if the buyer claims Significantly Not as Described, you are not covered as a seller unless by chance the buyer give a reason for claim that PayPal considers buyer's remorse, not 'not as described'. If PayPal rules in favor of buyer, you must accept return of phone and refund customer. If the buyer doesn't return phone, then you win case of course. If they returned a brick or to a near by address, then you can report them for abusing the buyer/purchase protection program and get documentation from USPS of GPS delivery coordinates proving it was sent to different address and file mail fraud with the US Postmaster General's office, police and ic3.gov reports and submit to PayPal. No guarantee if that will get your phone or your money back but you never know.

Now you know, cold hard in-person 'cash' is always king. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Alex5555
New Community Member

Horrible!

So I am contacting Paypal to return this payment back to the buyer.

Thank you!

What happened to our good old America?!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.