How to charge international costumers on their local currency?

oliveiraialan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to set up a business in which my costumers are in Brazil (I am from England). 

My concern is not about fees, but to make sure that my clients pay just the value they are shown in their local currency, not more or less depending on the exchange rate. Leave all the eventual fees to me, as the business provider. How much I will get in GBP is not important at the moment.

I would like to charge them exactly 95.00 BRL. I just ran a trial now using a Brazilian credit card. I set up a button to charge the client 95.00 BRL, and PayPal confirms that it charged 95.00 BRL, but the credit card company charged 98.80 BRL, claiming that it was an international purchase and so it used an exchange rate which is not exactly the one displayed on the website. Taxes for international transactions applied as well. 

Is there a way to make sure that my costumer is charged exactly 95.00 BRL? Is there a setting I could change so it is considered a local transaction, at least for the costumer? Then later when PayPal converts the money to GBP, that's fine if they use an exchange rate and apply other fees.

Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@oliveiraialan 

"I just ran a trial now using a Brazilian credit card. I set up a button to charge the client 95.00 BRL, and PayPal confirms that it charged 95.00 BRL, but the credit card company charged 98.80 BRL, claiming that it was an international purchase"

Is the Brazilian credit card linked to Brazil PayPal account too when testing? 

Your debit or credit card issuer may also charge you a separate fee for non-Brazil transactions, meaning if the PayPal button was made with an account that is based in the UK.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.