How safe is PayPal

Evie790
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole PayPal thing. I set it up as I am trying to sell an item for €500. I have received an email from someone interested in the item. They are asking for my PayPal details, but there's an inconsistency in the name in their email address and how they're spelling it at the end of the email. What potential scam could be going on if I gave them my details, and if/when payment goes through can they cancel it after the courier, they say they want to send, has collected the item. Advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Evie790 

In order for you to receive payment, you have to either send a PayPal invoice, so the buyer can pay it or they can send you payment to your PayPal email address (don't need to give names) Don't need names to send PayPal payment, just email address or phone number. If someone is access an account to to send you unauthorized payment and IF your type of transaction is eligible for seller protection (straightforward physical item that can be shipped to shipping address on the payment with proof of postage/delivery), PayPal will cover you.

Beware of fake payment confirmations and buyer emailing telling you they paid but to do this, or pay that before PayPal releases or shows the funds in your PayPal account which is not how PayPal works. If someone really paid, you will see a record of payment in your PayPal account so always log on to check, don't just believe emails. 

Post-payment, if your payment is subject to PayPal's 21 day hold, the transaction details will tell you what to do next. It should tell you to ship or not.

Post Shipment, the buyer can file a dispute and they have 180 days from date of payment to do so. SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claims are not covered in seller protection program so you're ultimately forced to accept a return and refund buyer if you can resolve things amongst yourselves and have to escalate to PayPal. Some buyers can be sneaky and return to nearby address or an empty box and that's when you report buyer abuse of the buyer protection program to PayPal. You can win an Item Not Received Claim with a tracking number for your shipment. You can ship right within the transaction by clicking Print Shipping Label.

For more info on Seller Protection, see user agreement for your region: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Evie790
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for your reply to my query. I will definitely log on to see if Payment is received and not take an emailed confirmation as proof if I decide to go with the buyer.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Evie790 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Evie790
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply, on further investigation of the 'buyer' it turns out that they've been flagged on other sites for trying the same thing, It was exactly what you said about the 'working away' and sending a shipping agent that didn't sit right with me. Thanks once again for your assistance.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.