How old do you have to be to have a Paypal account, and how do they verify age?

taylor1277
Contributor
Contributor

My gf's son wants to open an account and he is only 17 can he open an account? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@taylor1277

Have to be 18 years of age. PayPal usually finds out when a payment is received and the user is asked to claim funds by verifying their identity (anti-money laundering measures) to keep funds in the PayPal account to use and they have to send copy of photo ID, bank statements, etc if the account info like DOB is not filled in. There are cases where the funds will be locked up until the user is 18 and they can call up PayPal customer service to set up a new account and funds moved over, or wait 180 days to withdraw funds but if you can't prove you are over 18, one is stuck anyway.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@taylor1277

Have to be 18 years of age. PayPal usually finds out when a payment is received and the user is asked to claim funds by verifying their identity (anti-money laundering measures) to keep funds in the PayPal account to use and they have to send copy of photo ID, bank statements, etc if the account info like DOB is not filled in. There are cases where the funds will be locked up until the user is 18 and they can call up PayPal customer service to set up a new account and funds moved over, or wait 180 days to withdraw funds but if you can't prove you are over 18, one is stuck anyway.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

taylor1277
Contributor
Contributor

Don't they ask you to verify age somehow like by using a driver's license or something when someone initially signs up, I have a Paypal account, but its been over 10 yrs from when I signed up?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.