How long for refund to Debit card

asmart69
Contributor
Contributor

This is the first time I've used my PayPal account. I had family member pay me via a "request" link and they paid using their UK debit card. The funds were not available for my own withdrawal but I was allowed to refund the amount back to their card.

At the moment the transaction says "refund - sent" so can I now be assured this refund has now be processed correctly? I've read it can take up to 30 days for a refund to clear but what's typical when refunding a UK debit card (major high street bank) from my Paypal account?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@asmart69 

If you funded the original payment to the seller from your bank account or a card then once marked refunded/completed it will automatically go back to that bank account or card.
Normally it can take a few days up to a week to go back to a bank account and a bit longer for a card, Paypal say allow 30 days for a card (1 billing cycle) but its rarely that long.
(Can vary according to country though).
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/FAQ1212

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

asmart69
Contributor
Contributor

So my refund was done via my PayPal account. It says I have received amount X but it's not available for me to draw against as I'm not yet verified. But it has allowed me to refund back to the UK debit card it was paid using.

I'm merely interesting in the following.

1. The status merely says - "refund sent". Will this status change or has the refund now been fully processed? Or will any further action be required? As I said, I'm not verified yet.

2. Paying back to a UK debit card would normally take 3 - 5 days. Does that seem accurate in these circumstances? I realise it can in exceptional circumstances take up to 30 days.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.