How does a new seller give a refund if payment is listed as pending?

slt123
New Community Member

Hi, I completed a purchase through ebay and paid - it is listed as complete in my account. An issue has arisen and ebay cancelled the listing. I asked the seller for a refund, but they say that they are a new seller and it is listed as pending in their paypal account, so they can't refund. I contacted ebay and they opened a 'case' but I think I am being taken for a ride by the seller. Is it true that they cannot initiate a refund if the item has been cancelled by ebay? They are claiming that because they are new, they don't know what to do. But looking at their completed listings - they're selling fakes so know exactly what they are doing. (I forgot the basic rules when checking for fakes - I'm so annoyed with myself). Any help or guidance on what to do next would be appreciated. Oh, and they've already re-listed the item that ebay took down!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@slt123

They could have still refunded you but it would have had to have been funded via their bank account (and then waited for those pending funds to clear) OR they could have phoned Paypal and ask them to release the pending funds back to you.

If you have opened a dispute for non-receipt of item then escalate it to a claim when you get that option and wait for Paypal to sort it for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.