How are Africans to use Paypal?

Charleshimself
Contributor
Contributor

Hi People,

So I googled how many African countries have paypal and the list surprised me. Since paypal is a medium for sending and receiving money but for some reason they have been unable to forge useful partnerships with African banks and other financial institutions! I am from Kenya and only recently did they partner with Safaricom and provide a system for moving funds across the two platforms.

Apart from some banks in South Africa, Are there any other African countries that have a close if not similar Arrangement? 

Are all these African countries just available to collect money from. Without giving them a chance to receive payments from overseas and build their businesses the same way you have empowered western businesses to export their services to Africa? Are there any plans to bridge these gaps? Knowing that Nigeria had been blocked from using Paypal up until 2015, I was so impressed when read this on Forbes "Goldfeld said PayPal is meeting the needs of Nigerians that purchase goods and services  on foreign platforms". So if business is so smooth in African markets, why on earth is Paypal not doing anything to adapt into a collection agent for African businesses too? Isn't it just the fair thing to do?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Charleshimself

Paypal is not a bank and can only provide a part or full service dependent on what the banks and governments of that country allow.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Charleshimself
Contributor
Contributor

So only 2 of all the countries in Africa have banks and laws that are compatible with Paypal environment. Yet somehow they are all conveniently well oiled when it comes collecting and facilitating outward payments from Africa?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Charleshimself

2?

I counted 50 countries in Africa that have access to a Paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Charleshimself

Why would paypal WANT to restrict countries from receiving paypal payments if it was NOT the government or banks.

By receiving paypal payments they get a FEE each time so it would be counter productive for them to refuse it if they did not have to.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.