Help with understanding fees

belayet8836
New Community Member
So recently i received a payment from my friend who lives in USA. i live in UK. I was meant to get exactly £5 from him but when it came to my paypal i was charged a fee of £0.42. Im not sure how the fees work, i have looked into the paypal website and it just made me more confused because when i calculated it wasnt adding up. So, I wanted to know why i was charged to recieve money, what is the percentage that i need to use to make sure in near future if i get paid in different currency i get exact payment. I am about to recieve from Germany but im not sure how much euro he needs to send so that when it comes to me, its converted to GBP. Help will be appreciated
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@belayet8836 

You will never get the exact amount as your paypal fee is deducted from your buyers payment and its against paypal rules to ask your buyer to pay your fee for you.

UK > UK fee is 3.4% + 20p per transation but cross border / international fees are higher and very country to country, they are listed in paypals user agreement.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.