HOW do I put a second phone in the 2-step verification?

GracieAllen
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I know...  Stupid question.  But, after a full-day marathon of time-wasting messages back and forth, having no fewer than 4 people answer the questions I didn't ask, it still doesn't work........

This morning I went into Paypal and turned on 2-step verification.  Took my phone, installed an authentication app, scanned the QR code, read the six-digit code off the phone and put it into Paypal, and it was happy.  Logged out, logged in, it demanded a code, I entered it, worked fine....

BUT, we use Paypal Here and it is important that my wife's phone also work.  And as part of the 2-step verification, PAYPAL says "add a second device/phone/whatever" (it's been hours since I was in there).....

Took my wife's phone, installed an authentication app, scanned the QR code, read the six-digit code off the phone and put it into Paypal (notice that it's IDENTICAL to the OTHER phone we put in?).  It was NOT happy and said the code was INVALID.  Tried again.  Wife tried.  Read repeated codes off the phone and put them in.  ALL got the same display.  DELETED the account from her authentication app.  Put it BACK IN AGAIN.  Put security code in.  INVALID.  Removed the account.  Instead of SCANNING the QR code, ENTERED the 16-digit-code, was accepted, phone displayed six-digit security code.  Entered it.  INVALID.

Repeat ad nauseum. 

Call Paypal.  Get shuffled around the labyrinth by the robot, who eventually shuffles me off to customer service where I get the recording that customer service is no longer IN SERVICE, and there's no phone answerers.  Try again in case I missed something.  Nope.

Went looking and found the phone number for people overseas.  Called THAT.  Back to the robot, back through the labyrinth.  Eventually got the SAME recording.  No phone support.

FINALLY gave up and sent a message.  Gave up and went off to do things.  Got a message.  Didn't answer the question - HOW do I make the Paypal 2-step verification accept my wife's phone as the backup, using an authentication app, to log into Paypal? 

Restated the problem.

Eventually got ANOTHER message.  Nope.  Still no answer.

Tried to rephrase and asked again.

Got ANOTHER message - btw, every message appears to be from a different person.  This time the person wrote up HOW to implement 2-step verification - yup, the thing we did hours ago.  And it told me how to add my wife's phone:

• Set up a back-up method in case you can’t access your primary cell or authenticator app.

• Click Done to activate 2-Step Verification.

Oh...

Tried again. 

I give up.  What should have been a 30-second phone conversation has now become a message marathon. 

If someone in here can tell me for absolutely SURE it's possible to have 2 phones, using authentication apps, both be able to log into Paypal as needed, that would be good.  Which would lead me to the second question - HOW?  'Cause we I've done and what my wife's done HAS NOT WORKED.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.