HELP!! I need to pay a clearance fee???

applooza
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know ASAP if this image is true or photoshopped.
I have someone trying to transfer me abt 300 USD but they told me I need to pay the fee??
They then sent me this picture, which appears to be a receipt from the virtual terminal. However, from google images the receipts don't look this way (I've never used the virtual terminal before so now I'm opening one up to check it out myself).
Thanks for the help!!!! I just really need confirmation that there is such thing as a clearance fee when doing pending transactions

Can anyone tell me if this is real or photoshoppedCan anyone tell me if this is real or photoshopped

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@applooza 

Can't see image yet, PayPal has to clear it first.

If you don't see payment in your account, don't ship or provide any services.  Man, these scammers are really trying it on, now using some ole' virtual terminal receipt! If the sender says they paid, then they can file a dispute because you see no payment. Maybe that will knock the payment loose for them. PayPal does not require you to pay a 'clearance fee' when they already deduct the fee when you receive the payment into your account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-are-common-scams-and-how-do-i-spot-them-faq3176

Edit: Saw image finally...that screen shot is so bare of information and the type face for the fee is different from the other words. Sorry, I still would rather believe my PayPal account. No money, no talk. These scammers want to draw you in and ask you to pay some amount to release your payment but the scam is, there is no payment! If someone REALLY paid, you should see a record of payment on your end. PayPal does not hide payment when they already take the fee out asking for another fee? That's bogus. $100? That's not how PayPal works.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@applooza 

Can't see image yet, PayPal has to clear it first.

If you don't see payment in your account, don't ship or provide any services.  Man, these scammers are really trying it on, now using some ole' virtual terminal receipt! If the sender says they paid, then they can file a dispute because you see no payment. Maybe that will knock the payment loose for them. PayPal does not require you to pay a 'clearance fee' when they already deduct the fee when you receive the payment into your account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-are-common-scams-and-how-do-i-spot-them-faq3176

Edit: Saw image finally...that screen shot is so bare of information and the type face for the fee is different from the other words. Sorry, I still would rather believe my PayPal account. No money, no talk. These scammers want to draw you in and ask you to pay some amount to release your payment but the scam is, there is no payment! If someone REALLY paid, you should see a record of payment on your end. PayPal does not hide payment when they already take the fee out asking for another fee? That's bogus. $100? That's not how PayPal works.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

applooza
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 
I'm glad I'm not the only one thrown off by the different font! 😥
I also thought that it made no sense that if they paid said amount, and insist it's been "taken out form their debit already" so they can't "Cancel and try again", then why is it not appearing on my end?
I also figured Paypal would never charge some kind of "clearance fee" because I've never heard of such a thing!

Thanks so much for the help! I'll definitely try to shake them off if they aren't serious about paying me. 😤

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.