Gumtree scam

Steveeboy21
Contributor
Contributor

Got thus reply to an item I was selling on Gumtree. Definitely a scam please be aware everyone. Thanks for your response, I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have checked through your advert and i'm fully satisfied with it. Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to collect but would send my courier agent to collect after you have fully received your money, i work offshore so i don't have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert. However, I will pay you via PayPal once you are ready and send my courier agent after you have received your money as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap. If that's Ok with you please get back to me with a suitable collection time. -- Thanks Anna <removed>

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Steveeboy21

Scam has been ongoing for 15 years and is all over this forum and the internet, glad you did not get caught out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DonnaMarB
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, me too.

got an exact copy and paste of that email after I posted some furniture on Gumtree yesterday. I was suspicious straight off the bat but gave benefit of doubt initially and did give her my email address for PayPal. Needless to say I won’t be sending money to her courier or anything else!

Can’t PayPal do something about this? How many people get caught out? Apparently she/they have been operating this scam for 15 years!!!! 😡

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DonnaMarB

What are paypal supposed to do about it? It has nothing to do with paypal and none of the scam is done using their site.

The scam is done via spoof / fake emails sent by scammers using throwaway or anonymous email addresses working out of an internet cafe somewhere in Africa !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mb121
New Community Member
I've been contacted today about and advert exact wording and a similar email used i picked up it was a scam before things got too far careful if unsure always Google
Login to Me Too

Nickii2019
Contributor
Contributor
I have just had the same person respond to my advert on the selling site Shpock,she goes by the name Anna Jose I stupidly sent her an invoice from PayPal be careful people
Login to Me Too

68mandie
New Community Member

I had same email last night from Anna <removed>, it looked so strange so refused, I am glad now after reading all the post.

Login to Me Too

Nickii2019
Contributor
Contributor
It’s a shame that nothing can be done about these people, I was so weary that in case they could hack into my accounts that I removed my card details from PayPal just to be safe 😐
Login to Me Too

Hi im struggling to find where to post this but i have just had basically the same experience. Selling on Shpock and somebody messaged me on a Molly.d account and then asked me to email them personally to AnnaJay070 i recieved the same message as you explaining they would send a private courier and signed it off with Anna <removed>. Be warned this scame is still around.

Login to Me Too

Jmay79
We just had the same thing happen gave pay pal details but then thought it was dodgy so have emailed them o say it won’t happen
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.