Gumtree - Possible car purchase scam? Unsure?

emilyoliviahh
Contributor
Contributor

So I've been looking at a car for sale on Gumtree, here is the link to the ad 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mercedes-benz/mercedes-a180-1.5-diesel/1300096985

It's a great deal so obviously I wanted to get some more info as it seems to good to be true, which is the first red flag.
I TEXTED, not rang, the number provided on the ad asking some questions about the car, I then received a sms with no number and instead just the name Daniel, I'm assuming it's a websms, with no option to reply to the sms or a number to ring (It wasn't a reply from the number I texted).
He said he got my missed call, even though I didn't ring, and asked me to contact him via email about purchasing the car.
I emailed and just asked the same questions I had already texted him, no reply yet.
I already know this looks really dodgy but I guess I'm just hoping it's not a scam as I want the car haha. 
I'm posting as I have searched the forums for something similar but have only found this happening to people selling stuff, whereas I want to purchase the car.

But all in all should I be pretty sure it's a scam?
I would only purchase if I could go and view it and pay in cash, otherwise if he suggested paypal should I pass on his email to paypal?
Thanks for the help!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emilyoliviahh

Well i doubt you can prove its a scam if you don't actually pay him with paypal and then find he doesn't supply the car.

Also as you have 0 paypal protection for motor vehicles.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emilyoliviahh

As you are going to pay with cash and not paypal and he is not asking for paypal then I really don't know what this has to do with the paypal forum?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

emilyoliviahh
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I should of been more clear, he has not yet asked for payment, I would only go with cash, but I am suspecting that if it is a scam he will be asking for a paypal payment.
If so should I send his email address to paypal in order to report him if it appears to be a scam?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emilyoliviahh

Well i doubt you can prove its a scam if you don't actually pay him with paypal and then find he doesn't supply the car.

Also as you have 0 paypal protection for motor vehicles.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

emilyoliviahh
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.